THE PRIMARY CURRICULUM IS ON ITS KNEES BEGGING FOR ATTENTION, WHY THE NEEDLES RUSH TO IMPLEMENT THE JHS AND SHS ONE?
Educate Ghana Summit is disappointed in NaCCA, MoE and GES for poorly implementing the new curriculum and therefore calls on them to as a matter of urgency put on hold the implementation of the JHS and SHS curriculum until they finalize the ongoing primary one which lacks all the necessary materials to make it successful. There’s no point in building on an obviously shaky foundation.
It is a wide known fact that, the primary curriculum implemented at the beginning of the 2019/2020 academic year is a skeleton that lacks all the necessary flesh to make it complete and successful. It’s a shame and very debilitating.
- The Insufficiency of hard-copies of the curriculum for all teachers.
- No approved Textbooks as of now. Only Promise upon promise.
- Not a single Standards Based teaching and learning material.
- No training given to teachers on the new ASSESSMENT FRAMEWORK yet as promised.
- Large and a disturbing number of teachers not trained on the new curriculum. These includes NaBCO teachers, 2018 Newly recruited teachers and 2019 newly trained teachers who are doing National Service as well as other National Service Personnel from the universities who are all teaching in the primary schools.
The foundation is too weak. A Strong foundation is a prerequisite for success.
EGS is therefore urging MOE, NaCCA and GES to seriously consider strengthening the base by solving these embarrassing issues as early as possible before bringing on board the JHS and SHS curriculum. The curriculum looks good on paper but the implementation is poor.
Akporhor Jerry- Ag secretary – Educate Ghana Summit.