OUTCOME OF MANAGEMENT MEETING WITH CODE ON REOPENING OF PRE-TERTIARY SCHOOLS (HEADQUARTERS, JUNE 8, 2020)
The meeting had the following at its core:
1. How to prevent infection and control spread of Covid-19;
2. How to maintain the safety and security of staff and students;
3. How to manage the situation so as to ensure effective teaching and learning in the wake of the pandemic;
4. What to do in the event of infection;
5. Encouraging parents to willingly release their children (even pregnant ones) to attend school.
Corresponding parameters within which to reopen schools were thus put in place:
– Disinfection of private and public schools;
– Provision of WASH facilities for all schools;
– Provision of washable and reusable Facemasks for all students and staff;
– Mapping of all schools to health facilities; meanwhile, some teachers (1 from each school) will undergo training to permit the use of a thermometer to check the temperature of students and teachers everyday;
– Splitting of all classes: 30 and 25 students respectively in the case of JHS and SHS;
– Avoiding mass gathering: Morning devotion should be conducted in class whiles students will enter the dining hall in batches; a fifteen-minute break will be spent indoors, especially in the case of JHS;
– Avoiding sports and sporting events;
– Preventing all religious activities as well as food vending in schools;
– Preventing all visitors, notably in the case of boarding schools;
– Allowing all day students in boarding schools to be boarders whiles purely day schools will have enhanced daily health protocols.
– Encouraging enhanced and sustained monitoring by a team from the District Education Office with the District Director taking full responsibility at their level and reporting cases beyond them to their Regional Directors;
– Undertaking public sensitization on radio and orienting all staff in relation to the conditions within which the schools are being reopened.
SHS 3 and SHS 2 Gold Track: Monday June 22 – July 31st, 2020.
WASSCE: August 3rd – September 4th.
JHS 3: Monday June 29 – September 11, 2020. BECE: September 14th – September 18th, 2020.